Ginling College, Nanking, China
Collection, 1916-1979
Finding Aid to Record Group 279
0.25 cu.ft.

Presbyterian Historical Society
425 Lombard St.
Philadelphia, PA 19147-1516

ADMINISTRATIVE HISTORY

The beginnings of Ginling College date back to 1912, a time when most Chinese women wanting any education beyond high school had no option but to seek that education outside of their country. Women representing eight Chinese girls' schools appealed to American mission boards for assistance in founding a women's college in the Yangtze Valley. Five of the boards, including the Board of Foreign Missions (PCUSA), responded with pledges of $10,000 for buildings and equipment and the support of a representative on the teaching staff. Three people from each board were elected to the Board of Control of Ginling College. In 1916, Smith College pledged $1,000 annually, thus developing an unofficial sister relationship to Ginling.

The Board of Control elected Matilda Thurston president of the new college in 1913, formally adopted the name Ginling College in 1914, and opened its doors to its first class in 1915. Thirteen students registered that year and were taught by four Chinese and four American faculty members.

By 1928 Ginling had 97 students, 22 faculty members, and a full administrative staff. Dr. Thurston retired from the presidency at the end of this year; Dr. Yih-Fang Wu succeeded her.

The Sino-Japanese War and World War II interrupted the course of life at Ginling. The students and faculty members, determined not to give up their work, found temporary places at other schools. Many also worked as volunteers with refugees and wounded soldiers. The Japanese took over the Ginling campus in 1942 and the administration was unable to retake it until late 1945. Rehabilitation work began immediately, and 332 students were enrolled in 1946. In 1951, Ginling College was combined with the University of Nanking to form the National Ginling University.

SCOPE AND CONTENT NOTE

Record Group 279 includes reports, brochures, and photographs, as well as the transcript of an interview with Dr. Yi Fang-Wu, Ginling's second president.

The collection is arranged as follows:

SERIES 1: REPORTS, NEWSLETTERS AND BROCHURES, 1916-1950
SERIES 2: INTERVIEW, 1973
SERIES 3: PHOTOGRAPHS, 1916-1979, undated

NOTES TO THE RESEARCHER

The materials in Series 1 and 3 of this collection were donated to the Presbyterian Historical Society by Dr. Ruth M. Chester, who taught chemistry at Ginling College from 1917 to 1939 and served as Dean of Studies for ten years after that.

Researchers should see Record Group 82, China Mission Records, for further materials on Ginling College. Minutes of Ginling's Board of Control for 1916, 1922, 1924-27, 1929-31 and 1934 are available in the library.

Collection processed and finding aid prepared: August 1991
Stephanie Muntone, Processing Archivist

Box	Folder	Description
1	1	Finding Aid to Record Group 279

		SERIES 1:  REPORTS, NEWSLETTERS AND BROCHURES,  1916-1950

	2	President's Report, Brochures, 1916-18
	3	Annual Reports, Brochures, 1919-28
	4	Newsletters, Brochures, 1942-50

		SERIES 2:  INTERVIEW, 1973

	5	Interview with Yih-Fang Wu, 1973
		
		SERIES 3:  PHOTOGRAPHS, 1916-1979, undated 

	6	College Buildings and Gardens, undated
	7	Faculty and Students, Reunion, 1916-79
	8	Ginling College During Sino-Japanese War and World
		War II, 1938-39