Nurses are among the hundreds of Presbyterians who have devoted their lives to sharing the Gospel message of love for others in fields afar.
Providing quality health care is challenging and exhausting work in the best of times. In the first half of the twentieth century, missionary nurses overseas often found themselves working in difficult conditions in remote locations or serving patients during times...
Edwin Brumbaugh at Pottsgrove Manor. Image courtesy of the Joseph Downs Collection of Manuscripts and Printed Ephemera, Winterthur Library.
--by Douglas McVarish
The Presbyterian Historical Society turned 100 years old in the mid-twentieth century. Always located in Philadelphia, the Society’s first home was at 821 Chestnut Street. Then, in 1897, the Society moved to the Witherspoon Building at 1319-1323 Walnut Street, a high-rise erected to house...
The William Tennent House. Photo by Dan Yowell of MeganDan Photography
--by Wendy Wirsch
In 1735, the Reverend William Tennent purchased a hundred-acre plantation in Warminster, Bucks County, Pennsylvania. Near his home, he built a log cabin structure for the training of Presbyterian ministers. This school, known as the Log College, became the first college in Pennsylvania. In this rustic building, Tennent educated young men for the ministry. Shortly after his death on May 6, 1746, the doors of this rural school closed.