Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.)
Office of the General Assembly
Position Title: Archives Technician
Entity: Office of the General Assembly
Position Location: Philadelphia
Ministry Area: Presbyterian Historical Society
Purpose of the Position: Copy-catalogs library materials; maintains archival vertical file collections; assists with metadata, data entry projects, and digitization; reshelves and retrieves collection materials for patrons.
Reports to: Cataloging and Metadata Librarian
Budget Accountability: none
1. Copy-catalog and create item records for library materials (50 to 60% of time).
2. Create protective enclosures for books; create labels and shelve cataloged items.
3. Maintain archival vertical file collections by filing new materials and creating database records.
4. Reshelve and retrieve collection materials used by patrons.
5. Assist with metadata, data entry projects, and digitization.
6. Assist Communications Team by contributing to newsletters, blogs, and social media.
7. Other duties as assigned by the supervisor or the Office of the General Assembly.
Education: High school graduate with some college coursework.
Skills, experience and competencies:
• Familiarity with bibliographic records and online library catalogs.
• One year of work experience in a library or archives setting or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Demonstrated ability to focus on detail.
• Self-motivated with the ability to stay on task.
• Demonstrated ability to work independently and as a member of a team, as well as efficiently transition between different projects and tasks.
• Ability to remain flexible when priorities and goals change.
• Demonstrated commitment to value differences and the benefits to be derived from working with a broad range of people.
• Fluent in English.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills.
• Able to use current technology and equipment.
• Familiarity with Library of Congress classification system and subject headings.
• Familiarity with procedures for handling archival material.
• Experience scanning historical documents.
• Fluency in Spanish, Korean, or another language.
Sensory or Physical Requirements:
• Sight and hearing required.
• Ability to lift 35-pound boxes and stoop, reach, and climb stools to shelve and retrieve collection material.
• Ability to use the computer for extended periods of time.
• Ability to do scanning work, which includes repetitive motions and standing.
• Ability to communicate via telephone and via Zoom and other computer technologies.
Additional Information / Benefits:
We believe a balanced life, with time for work, leisure, and spiritual nurture, makes us healthier and more productive colleagues at the Presbyterian Center.
The Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) offers a competitive benefits package for eligible employees including Medical, Dental, Short-Term and Long-Term Disability, Employee Assistance Program (EAP), Flexible Spending accounts, 403(b) Retirement Savings Plan, Vacation Days, Sick Days, and Paid Holidays.
Compensation for this position is $22 per hour at 35 hours a week.
The Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) retains the discretion to add or to change the functions, responsibilities, and/or minimum qualifications for this position at any time.
The Office of the General Assembly seeks applicants who value differences and the benefits to be derived from working with a broad range of people. Ability to work in a consultative and collaborative style within and across agencies, councils and governing body lines.
The Office of the General Assembly is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, class, religion, country of origin, political belief, (dis)ability, age, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, or any factor protected by law. Members of underrepresented groups are encouraged to apply.
To apply, please visit https://joblinkapply.com/joblink/803/Job/Index/651871/. Cover letters are encouraged.