Events Blog Shop Enews
In the late 1940s, the General Assembly of the Presbyterian Church in the USA established the objective of building "for all the ages a great church which will preserve and develop for the American people the message of the Reformed faith and which will be an adequate witness in the Nation's Capital to the Presbyterian ideas of personal, political and religious freedom."The National Church was founded in 1947 through the formal merger of the congregations of the Church of the Covenant and the First Presbyterian Church of Washington.Fundraising for a national center began in earnest in the 1950s. The National Presbyterian Center, based at National Presbyterian Church but separate from it, was dedicated in 1970.
Finding Aid to Record Group 134, donor correspondence
Background and Planning correspondence; Planning proposals and reports Resolutions of congregational boards/committees, 1948-63
Existing Physical Plant, Planning of Structure--Preliminary correspondence and Surveys, 1947-54
Advisory Council--Minutes and reports, 1948-61; Sponsors' Committee--Minutes, 1956
Council Minutes and related papers, 1961-62
Policy and Planning Committee--Minutes and related papers, 1949-52
Dedication of Cornerstone, Tribute Luncheon for General Eisenhower--Background and planning correspondence, 1967
Memorials Committee--Minutes, 1968-69
Dedicatory Year Committee--Minutes, calendars, related correspondence, 1968-70; Correspondence re Duke Ellington Concert at NPC&C, 1969-70
Dedicatory Year Handbook--Planning correspondence, 1969-70
Dr. Edward L.R. Elson--Correspondence, 1948-49
Moderatorial Visits to NPC--Planning correspondence,1949-59; Moderatorial Sermon, 1959.