Cataloging and Metadata Librarian
The Presbyterian Historical Society seeks a knowledgeable, energetic, and enthusiastic librarian with expertise in cataloging and metadata creation for the position of Cataloging and Metadata Librarian.
Reporting to the Manager of Technical Services, the Cataloging and Metadata Librarian is responsible for original and complex contributed cataloging in all bibliographic and physical formats, including monographs, audiovisual materials, and electronic resources, applying national standards using MARC 21, RDA, MODS, AACR2, and the Library of Congress classification system and subject headings.
The incumbent performs name and subject authority work, and contributes or revises name authority records in the national authority files. The Cataloging and Metadata Librarian serves as an expert resource person regarding cataloging and metadata within the Society. The incumbent also serves as the Society's NACO coordinator and will take the lead in our future participation in the Program for Cooperative Cataloging.
The Cataloging and Metadata Librarian maintains awareness of and engagement with national and international trends and developments in cataloging and metadata standards, bibliographic and authority control, and knowledge management. The Cataloging and Metadata Librarian participates in developing local cataloging policies and procedures, and in local implementation of changes in national standards, rules, and best practices for cataloging. The incumbent participates in committees and special projects.
Master’s degree in library or information science from an ALA accredited institution.
- Three to five years of recent cataloging experience.
- Experience cataloging a variety of bibliographic and physical formats.
- Significant knowledge of and ability to apply the following cataloging tools: Resource Description and Access (RDA), the Anglo-American Cataloguing Rules (AACR2r), Library of Congress Subject Headings (LCSH) and Library of Congress classification (LCC), and MARC21 formats for bibliographic and authority data.
- Experience in cataloging materials through a cataloging utility such as OCLC, in an integrated library system environment.
- Experience in performing name authority work.
- Ability to work in a team environment.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to lift 35 lbs. boxes.
- Experience with a national cooperative cataloging program such as PCC (NACO).
- Experience with special collections cataloging.
- Experience cataloging audio-visual formats.
- Experience with CJK cataloging.
- Experience cataloging in an academic or research library.
- Experience with non-MARC metadata schemes.
- Experience working with digital libraries or institutional repositories.
- Working knowledge of non-English languages.
The Society uses OCLC for cataloging and Koha as its ILS.
Deadline for Applications: Applications received by March 6, 2015 will receive first consideration, but applications will continue to be accepted until the position is filled.
To Apply: Qualified applicants who wish to be considered for this position should submit a cover letter, résumé, and the names, e-mail addresses, and phone numbers of three references to: CML Search Committee, Presbyterian Historical Society, 425 Lombard Street, Philadelphia, PA 19147 or firstname.lastname@example.org
No faxed applications accepted.