Newark, First Presbyterian Church
According to the “Inventory of the Church Archives of New Jersey: The Presbyterians,” (Newark, NJ: Historical Records Survey, 1940), the First Presbyterian Church in Newark, New Jersey, was organized around 1668, when it was voted to erect a meeting house at 820 Broad Street. The church was incorporated in 1753. In 1945, according to Hall’s Index of American Presbyterian Congregations, it may have received by merger High Street-Sixth Presbyterian Church, and in 1951, the Olivet Presbyterian Church (though former merger information may be incorrect). In 1959, it changed its name to Old First Presbyterian Church.
A search of our catalogs shows records of the First Presbyterian Church, Newark, New Jersey, deposited in our holdings:
- Records from 1781-1956, consisting of seventy-nine volumes. (Call Number: V MI46 N51fbg; V MI46 N51fp+). The following records are relevant to genealogists:
- Cemetery records, A-B; C-I; n.d. (Indexed by section of the cemetery) (2 vols.)
- Diary of attendance at church services during the pastorate of Rev. William T. Hamilton, 1824-1825; including resumes of sermons (1 vol.)
- Diaries of attendance at church services during the pastorate of Dr. J.F. Stearns, 1849-1854; 1869-1876; vol. 2 with Newark Soldiers Aid Society treasurer's records, 1864-1865 (2 vols.)
- Family records, 1858-1875 (2 vols.)
- Register of baptisms, 1809-1817, 1824-1881; and marriages, 1825-1882 (1 vol.)
- Register of members, 1801-1924; including baptisms (3 vols.)
- Session fund records, 1902-1918 (1 vol.)
- Session minutes, 1781-1955 (7 vols.)
- Pastoral registers from 1899-1959 of Robt. R. Littel (Robert Rolland, 1872-1962), including those of Newark First Presbyterian Church from 1906-1910. (Call number: Vault BX 9225 .L717 A31).
- Manual, including lists of members: 1865, 1884, 1891, 1898, 1907, 1911, 1915, 1920. (Call number: Pam BX 9211.N57102 F502).
- The Genealogical Society of Utah (GSU) has microfilmed the 1781-1901 records of the First Presbyterian Church from our holdings, and they are available through the Family History Centers of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. To use the microfilm, you may visit their website, www.familysearch.org, and search for a center near you.
The society holds the following records of the Olivet Presbyterian Church, Newark. (Call number: V MI46 N51o+):
- Session minutes, Dec. 28, 1948-Oct. 5, 1951 (1 vol.)