Events Blog Shop Enews
Canonsburg Theological Seminary was a seminary of the Associate Presbyterian Church. The seminary originated as Service Theological Seminary established in 1794 in western Pennsylvania. In 1821 the seminary was removed to Canonsburg, Pennsylvania, southwest of Pittsburgh, where it remained until it was transferred to Xenia, Ohio in 1855. The Associate Society of Inquiry, an organization of the students to correspond with missionaries, was organized at the seminary.
Record Group 337 consists of one folder of letters from ministers in Ohio, Illinois, Iowa, Montreal, Lower Canada, and a letter from the Rev. Joseph Banks, a missionary in the brief Associate Presbyterian mission to Trinidad in the Caribbean. There is also a fraternal letter from the Society of Inquiry of the Reformed Presbyterian Church.Some of the letters are fragile and should be handled carefully.
Collection processed and finding aid prepared: December 1992Glenn Colliver, Assistant Archivist