Events Blog Shop Enews
Access to records created within the last 50 years is restricted; consult repository for details
Established in 1863 and incorporated in 1868, the Board of Mission to the Freedmen was organized to provide secular and religious education for freedmen through the establishment of schools and churches. The Board remained under the Board of Home Missions until 1928, when it was placed under the newly formed Board of American Missions and renamed the Department of Negro Work.
Record Group 46 contains miscellaneous items from the Board of Missions to the Freedmen and its successor, the Department of Negro Work. It is arranged as follows:Series 1: Board of Missions to the Freedmen, miscellaneous items, 1904-28Includes pamphlets, minutes and reports.Also contained in this series are bound volumes.Series 2: Department of Negro Work, miscellaneous items, 1928-38
The researcher is advised to check the card catalogue for other holdings which have been catalogued separately.
The bound volumes are numbered chronologically. The researcher should cite the volume number, inclusive dates and title when requesting volumes.
Finding Aid to Record Group 46
SERIES 1: BOARD OF MISSIONS TO FREEDMEN
Historical Sketch of the Freedmen's Mission 1862-1904
Our Southlands Missions, 1913
Annual report, 1917
Receipts, 14 May 1920 - 27 April 1927
Receipts, 2 March 1927 - 28 October 1930
SERIES 2: DEPARTMENT OF NEGRO WORK
Receipts, April 1934 - August 1938