2017 marks the 300th anniversary of the Presbytery of Philadelphia. In honor of that major celebration, presbytery churches are writing brief, updated congregation histories. Susan Aggarwal, a member of the presbytery's History Team and of PHS's Delaware Valley Council, is collecting these histories and sharing them with PHS. All completed histories can be viewed on the PHS website using the Philadelphia Presbytery 300 blog tag.
Malachi Jones organized the Abington Presbyterian Church in 1714, and later that same year The Presbytery received him into its membership. Jones purchased a tract of land on Old York Road below Susquehanna Road and in 1719 sold to the church one-half acre of ground upon which to build a church and establish a burial ground. In 1793 a new church was built on the west side of Old York Road, a commanding site where Abington members still gather to worship, study, and join in various service activities.
Middletown Presbyterian Church pre-dates the birth of George Washington by 12 years and the Revolutionary War and the Declaration of Independence by one-half century. The church is recognized as one of the oldest places of worship in the country, standing a mere 5 miles west of where William Penn landed.
It was first constructed as a small log structure by Scots-Irish settlers who met in 1720. Most likely the worship meetings were held in the
The roots of Doylestown Presbyterian Church reach back to circa 1726 with the Rev. William Tennent, Sr., who was a “circuit rider” or supply pastor and preached at churches in Bucks County including Neshaminy (Warwick) and Deep Run (Bedminster). The congregation at Deep Run was known as Mr. Tennent’s Upper Congregation.
Rev. Uriah DuBois was called as pastor to Deep Run in 1798 and also the Red Hill Church. He moved to Doylestown in 1804 to take charge as principal of the Union Academy. At that time, the town of Doylestown had...
During its 292 years of history the church has been known by three different names:
(Deep Run Presbyterian Church) - 1725-1821
Seeking religious freedom, some 6,000 Scots-Irish debarked at Philadelphia in 1720; one small group ventured north and settled in the Bedminster wilderness near a creek called Deep Run. These immigrants were Presbyterians from Scotland, but because their forebears had spent a hundred years in Ireland, they were known as Scots-Irish. The Irish Meeting House, our historic sanctuary at Deep Run, reflects that...